Things To Do During Labor Day Weekend in Atlanta
Labor Day is the proverbial pat on the back for all your hard work throughout the year. It’s a time to let loose and have a little hard-earned rest, relaxation and fun. Labordaypalooza is arguably one of the most fun weekends in Atlanta, with just about every one of our top venues hosting events. Here are some favorite things to do and others you may not have heard about yet. Be sure to check out our Labor Day page for the full lineup of things going on, whether you’re looking for huge festivals or family fun.
- Dragon Con, Thursday, Aug. 29 through Monday, Sept. 2
For all you sci-fi loving geeks (ahem), Dragon Con is the most highly anticipated fandom event of the year, drawing nearly 80,000 to Atlanta to roam convention halls, parade downtown streets and enjoy a night at the Georgia Aquarium on Aug. 31 — all while decked out in cosplay.
- Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game, Saturday, Aug. 31
It’s no secret that college football is life here in the South. On Aug. 31, watch Alabama and Duke officially kick off the 2019 season at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
- Atlanta Gay Black Pride – Labor Day weekend means it’s time for the Atlanta Black Gay Pride celebration, the largest in the Southeast. Visit the website for a full itinerary of events happening between Aug. 28 and Sept. 2.
- Labor Day Weekend at Stone Mountain Park, Saturday, Aug. 31 through Monday, Sept. 2
Immediately following the Saturday, Sunday and Monday night laser shows-celebrating working heroes-Stone Mountain Park will show off with extended fireworks shows.
- The AJC Decatur Book Festival, Friday, Aug. 30 through Sunday, Sept. 1
Calling all book lovers! Head to Decatur Square for a weekend of book signings, author readings, panel discussions, poetry slams, writing workshops, an interactive children’s area and more.
- Sky High Hot Air Balloon Festival, Friday, Aug. 30 through Sunday, Sept. 1
Soar into September at the Sky High Hot Air Balloon Festival at Callaway Gardens. The weekend kicks off with the Friday Night Balloon Glow and continues through Sunday. Saturday is filled with family-friendly events including live music, beach activities, a Kids’ Zone and more. Watch beautiful balloons in flight or hop in a basket for your own tethered balloon ride.
Get to know Atlanta, and discover the best things to do around the city.