Atlanta Shines During Super Bowl LIII
Atlanta shined on professional football’s biggest stage as all eyes turned to the city for Super Bowl LIII Feb. 3, 2019. During the week leading up to the big game, 150,000 out-of-state visitors experienced Atlanta’s hotels, attractions and restaurants, showcasing how well equipped the city is to execute events of this magnitude.
- Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) moved more than 500,000 customers during Super Bowl weekend while offering 24-hour rail service.
- Saturday, Feb. 2 marked MARTA’s busiest travel day in decades, with an estimated 270,000 rail riders.
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA) agents screened a record-setting 101,999 passengers at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport Monday, Feb. 4.
- The NFL contracted 20,100 rooms on peak nights across 107 hotels in the metro area.
- Lime Scooters tripled its ridership Super Bowl weekend and deployed a temporary fleet expansion of an additional 1,000 scooters, adding to the 1,500 scooters available in market.
- During the 10-day period leading up to Super Bowl LIII, 336 Downtown Ambassador Force members assisted guests 24 hours a day.
- Hotel occupancy in the city of Atlanta surged the weekend of Super Bowl LIII to 96 percent.
- Downtown Atlanta transformed into Super Bowl headquarters, with 13 of the 15 official NFL-sanctioned events taking place in the convention and entertainment district.
“The week of Super Bowl LIII, Atlanta demonstrated what we do best – host the world’s largest events with meticulous execution and attention to detail,” said William Pate, president and CEO, Atlanta Convention & Visitors Bureau. “The city’s walkability, accessibility and collaborative hospitality industry make it an excellent destination to host marquee events of any size.”
Super Bowl LIII featured the AFC champion New England Patriots and NFC champion Los Angeles Rams, marking the third time Atlanta hosted the marquee event.
Get to know Atlanta, and discover the best things to do around the city.