Atlanta Convention and Visitors Bureau
Department: Public Relations
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Position Reports to: Manager, Public Relations
The public relations internship provides an in-depth learning experience about destination marketing organizations with a focus on assisting the public relations team in marketing metro Atlanta to domestic, international and convention trade media.
Atlanta Convention & Visitors Bureau (ACVB) is the official destination marketing organization for the city and is designed to promote travel to Atlanta. The public relations team at ACVB is charged with working with members of the media and press to promote positive stories highlighting Atlanta as a leisure travel destination as well as a convention city. ACVB positions Atlanta as the leading destination for conventions and tourism through sales and marketing programs.
Interns at ACVB will dive into portfolio-building public relations projects – this isn’t an internship for coffee fetching and lunch runs. ACVB’s public relations intern is an integral member of the department and will gain practical experience.
Reporting to the team’s public relations manager, this intern will gain a better understanding of the basic day-to-day tasks that make up a public relations position and how the hospitality industry works as a whole. ACVB interns are encouraged to attend industry events and business openings to network with hospitality professionals and build relationships.
Responsibilities (including, but are not limited to the following)
- Assist with media monitoring, tracking and reporting in Muck Rack
- Track monthly media placements in goals dashboard
- Write and edit press releases and other media materials with the use of AP style guidelines
- Assist with media tours and events
- Attend and network at industry events and business openings
- Assist with internal communications to keep ACVB staff informed on industry trends and relevant news coverage
- Respond to media requests under guidance and supervision
- Research current trends in hospitality industry to keep press materials and media pitches fresh and accurate
- Update and manage local and convention trade media lists
Knowledge & Skills
- Excellent technology-based skillset to include knowledge of Microsoft Office software programs (Outlook, Excel, Teams, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Willingness and ability to learn quickly
- Basic understanding of and demonstrated interest in Atlanta’s hospitality industry, travel and tourism
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented and proactive
- Strong team player
- Strong organizational and time management skills
Education & Work Experience
- Currently pursuing a college degree in public relations, journalism, mass communications or related discipline
- Demonstrated interest in hospitality, travel and tourism preferred
- Work Hours: Monday – Friday, 20 hours/week during normal, business hours
- Work Environment: Standard, temperature-controlled office environment with moderate office noise level
- Work Location: This is a full-time on-site position located in the Atlanta office five days a week, for a duration of 12 weeks
- Physical Requirements: Light lifting up to 5 lbs. Note: the physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Where applicable, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions
- Travel: 0-5%
- Academic credit: If intern wishes to receive academic credit for the internship, it will be the intern’s responsibility to make arrangements with their school.
Atlanta Convention & Visitors Bureau, Inc. shall not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, parental status, familial status, national origin, age or disability.
Get to know Atlanta, and discover the best things to do around the city.