Best Restaurants in Atlanta for Shrimp and Grits
Everyone knows there are signature Southern dishes. Shrimp and grits is one such dish. It can be rich and decadent with creamy and cheesy grits or it can be a simple comfort food. And I just love that is acceptable for practically every meal. Here are eight spots to enjoy the best shrimp and grits in Atlanta.
- Flying Biscuit – The grits at Flying Biscuit are so rich and creamy, it’s sinful. I love that such a fantastic dish, along with everything else (and breakfast served all day long), is available at such affordable prices. With locations all over the city, the Biscuit is very family friendly, too.
- Home Grown – These are not your ordinary shrimp and grits. These are BBQ shrimp and cheese grits with bacon. It’s not for everyone with barbecue sauce mixed in, and it’s definitely a calorie splurge, but many people, especially out-of-towners, love the dish.
- Mary Mac’s Tea Room – One of the longest-standing restaurants in Atlanta is Mary Mac’s. If you want to experience the best of Southern food in Atlanta with a bit of history, Mary Mac’s is it. Shrimp and grits are served with extra cheesy grits.
- Nine MIle Station – The restaurant could rely on the fact that it is located on the rooftop of one of the hottest destinations in Atlanta — Ponce City Market, but it doesn’t. There’s a lot of thought and care put into the dishes here. I love the playful take on shrimp and grits with the addition of popcorn.
- South City Kitchen – With locations in Buckhead, Midtown and Vinings, the popular restaurant serves up modern Southern food in a beautiful atmosphere. I love the richness added to the shrimp and grits entree, which comes with tasso ham and smoked tomato-poblano gravy.
- Southern Bistro – Love that Ron Eyester is back making his culinary creations in Sandy Springs. With pieces of andouille sausage and the rich and creamy grits, these shrimp and grits also include amazing caramelized onions.
- Sway – Who expects hotel restaurants to have excellent food? I was really impressed with the shrimp and grits at Sway, which is located at the Hyatt Regency Atlanta. With sausage and shrimp, this dish will leave you quite satisfied.
- Sweet Auburn Seafood – Big, plump and juicy shrimp are served up with chicken sausage in a bowl of slightly spicy grits. You can get this delicious dish weeknights or during weekend brunch. The restaurant is in downtown Atlanta.
Malika Bowling is the author of Culinary Atlanta: Guide to the Best Restaurants, Markets, Breweries and More!, and founder of Roamilicious. Malika also has served as a judge at various culinary competitions and food festivals, including Taste of Atlanta. Her podcast, Just a Byte, can be downloaded from iTunes. Follow her on Twitter @MalikaBowling and Instagram.
Get to know Atlanta, and discover the best things to do around the city.