Food, fun and fashion take center stage in this neighborhood
Long known as a cool neighborhood, in Virginia-Highland, tables line the sidewalks of local restaurants and clothing racks stand on the street in front of boutique shops. On a nice day, the area hustles and bustles with life as visitors and locals take to the streets and patios for brunch, cocktails and shopping. By night, Virginia-Highland is home to some of the best bars in Atlanta.
Do you know from where the neighborhood Virginia-Highland derives its name? You guessed it! It comes from the intersection of Virginia and North Highland Avenues, which is the heart of the neighborhood. Though that pop quiz might’ve been a little self-explanatory, you can be sure that everything else about the area is highly unique.
On any given day of the week, you might find locals and tourists alike mingling for brunch at sidewalk cafes, sipping cocktails at lively night spots and browsing the clothing racks on display outside.
Developed in the early 1900’s, Virginia-Highland is known for its walkable blocks of bungalow homes and bustling shopping. The variety of goodies that you can find along the length of North Highland Avenue ranges from quirky home décor to artisan paper, hard-to-find books to outdoor apparel, antiques to trendy salons. And that’s not even mentioning the options for food. Prep your tummy for gelatos, Irish pub fare, fusion styles, seafood and more.
Want to go?
- Location: Approximately two miles north from Peachtree Street in Downtown Atlanta
- Getting there: Take the red or yellow MARTA line to the North Avenue Station, then a 2.5 mile cab ride into Virginia-Highland.
Did you know…
- Virginia-Highland has a tree museum called an arboretum, thanks to a partnership with local non-profit Trees Atlanta.
- Nearby attractions include Piedmont Park, the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and Museum and Callanwalde Fine Arts Center.
- Check out the farmer’s market in Morningside every Saturday for fresh produce, meats, flowers and artisan crafts.
Get to know Atlanta, and discover the best things to do around the city.