Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and Museum
Learn about the Carter presidency and the work of Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter
The Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and Museum is filled with interactive displays and fascinating exhibits that the entire family will enjoy. Experience “A Day in the Life of the President,” step into a replica of the Oval Office or take a virtual trip with the Carters to fight disease and promote democracy around the world.
The Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and Museum was chosen as Institution of the Year by the Georgia Association of Museums & Galleries and as a “Best of Atlanta” in the Atlanta Magazine Hall of Fame.
Reasons to visit the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and Museum
- Special: There are only 14 presidential libraries in the country; that makes Atlanta extremely lucky.
- Affordable: Adult admission is $12; only $10 for seniors, military and students with an ID; and admission is free for those younger than 16. Many, if not most, events at both the Jimmy Carter Library and Museum and the adjacent Carter Center are free.
- The man himself: While you cannot be guaranteed that you will see President Carter while you tour the museum, it does happen sometimes. Don’t count on it happening, but when you are there, keep your eyes and ears open just in case our 39th president happens to be on the premises.
- Oval Office: There is a replica of the Oval Office located inside the museum. That alone is worth the price of admission.
- Beautiful Gardens: Take a stroll around the gardens. There are sculptures, beautiful plantings, plus amazing views of the Atlanta skyline from the pond.
- In the section of the museum where there are drawers to pull out, please do. You never know what you will find. In one, there is a drawing the president made of a tree house to be constructed for daughter Amy, who, of course, was a child when the Carters occupied the White House.
- Browse the collection of books written by President Carter as you exit the museum through the gift shop. You may be surprised at how prolific he is. And you may find a book you’d like to buy.
- Check the website often to see what special exhibits are on display and to find out which authors will be signing their books and speaking. Exhibits generally are free with the price of admission. And most author appearances are free and open to the public.
- Get a bite to eat in the restaurant that is open from 11:30 a.m. until 2 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Sign up for events, especially those where the president will appear. You could be in the presence of former President Jimmy Carter in an intimate setting.
Know before you go
When is the Jimmy Carter Library and Museum open?
The operation hours are:
Monday-Saturday: 9 a.m.-4:45 p.m.
Sunday: noon – 4:45 p.m.
Last admissions sales time is 4:15 p.m.
CLOSED: Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day
Where is the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and Museum located?
The Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and Museum is located at:
441 John Lewis Freedom Parkway
Atlanta, Ga. 30307-1498
Get to know Atlanta, and discover the best things to do around the city.