Father’s Day Weekend Getaways in Atlanta
OK. Now that Mother’s Day and graduation are out of the way, let’s get down to the next big celebration — Father’s Day! There often is a sense that honoring Dad consists of giving him soap-on-a-rope, a tie and a card, but not in Atlanta. We celebrate dads. We go beyond brunch. Here are some of our favorite Father’s Day weekend getaway ideas.
- If your man has the need for speed, go to the Solis Two Porsche Drive down by the airport and check in for a Porsche-driven weekend — literally and figuratively. The first Solis in the United States, this 214-room boutique hotel includes 18 executive suites, nine track-view suites and one presidential suite. Since it is next door to the U.S. headquarters of Porsche, the hotel has a sports car theme with a Porsche mural in the lobby as well as a Porsche shop. The next adventure is to go to the Porsche Experience Center where Dad can spend 90 minutes on a track with his pick of 75 of the latest Porsches. Then he spends the next best 90 minutes of his life behind the wheel, with a Porsche Drive Coach, speeding down the 1.6-mile track. If Dad wants a little less excitement, then take him to the Simulator Lab, let him select a simulator Porsche and virtually drive on one of the world’s fastest racetracks. You can even race Dad.
- Barnsley Resort is a romantic North Georgia resort about 90 minutes from Atlanta that offers everything Dad wants on his special day: exceptional cuisine, fishing, boating, golf, a sporting club, horseback riding and wilderness trails. The resort is set on 3,000 acres of pristine wilderness so Dad can commune with nature and relax. Or, after a hard day of activities, Dad can get a massage at the spa.
- Atlanta is sports crazy and the city’s new soccer team, Atlanta United, has captured Atlanta’s heart. Take Dad to an Atlanta United game at Mercedes-Benz Stadium and then spend the weekend at a nearby hotel, such as the Omni Atlanta Hotel at CNN Center, Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta Downtown, Embassy Suites Atlanta at Centennial Olympic Park or the newly opened Clarion Inn & Suites at Castleberry. Before or after soccer, take Dad to the nearby Chick-fil-A College Football Hall of Fame so he can relive past glory.
- The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee is just what a dad would want. The Ritz’s luxury is matched only by the beautiful scenery. Located about 75 miles outside Atlanta and set on 30 acres of shoreline nestled among Georgia pines, this lakeside resort offers five championship golf courses, fishing, kayaking, Schiller Water Bikes, tennis and the Sandy Creek Sporting Grounds that offers a 20-station sporting clays course, a five-stand shooting range, and a rifle and archery range. Want the ultimate dad experience? Have Dad take a break from grilling duties and have the Ritz-Carlton BBQ Butler prepare a special barbecue especially for him.
- Located on 1,100 acres of sprawling countryside, Foxhall Resort will be a special getaway for Dad, especially if he is an outdoor lover. Foxhall is home to one of the world’s premier Beretta sporting clay courses as well as 16 freshwater lakes for trophy bass fishing, kayaking, paddleboarding, canoeing and miles of trails to walk or run. Located 30 minutes from Atlanta, Foxhall is home to The Paddock, the resort’s farm-to-table restaurant where locally sourced vegetables are paired with game favorites such as bison, wild boar and duck.
- Serenbe is a planned neighborhood with 900 acres of preserved forestland, wildflower meadows, 15 miles of trails that wend by two waterfalls, an animal village, two pools, croquet lawn and endless opportunities to have fun. The Inn at Serenbe has 27 guest rooms located in six buildings and is the perfect place to sit on the porch, read and enjoy life. The Farmhouse offers critically acclaimed cuisine made with locally grown ingredients.
- Lake Lanier Islands features 1,500 scenic acres that will offer Dad a lot of activities, as well as quiet time. He’ll enjoy boating, golf, tennis, horseback riding, swimming and just being outdoors.
- Sometimes dads want peace and quiet — maybe spend the day in bed, reading and watching television. Or maybe they just want to go to a sports bar and hang with the guys. No problem! There are wonderful hotels such as the Mandarin Oriental Atlanta, JW Marriott, the AC Marriott, the W Hotel Buckhead, Westin Buckhead, Grand Hyatt Buckhead, InterContinental Hotel and the Whitley Hotel, all places where Dad can spend the day doing whatever he wants. And the family can go across the street and shop at Phipps Plaza and Lenox Square. To some, that’s a truly wonderful getaway.
And if you’re still planning Father’s Day dinner, start with these restaurants that are fun for the family.
Get to know Atlanta, and discover the best things to do around the city.