Where Every Month is Black History Month
The APEX (African American Panoramic Experience) Museum is located in the historic Sweet Auburn district of Downtown Atlanta. The museum is devoted entirely to African American history as a means of promoting cultural awareness and the social contributions of African Americans in Georgia.
Reasons to visit the APEX Museum
- From stories about one of Atlanta’s first black-owned businesses and pioneer to local history and baseball lore or videos at the Trolley Theater, the APEX Museum is full of history.
- Atlanta’s APEX Museum features artifacts, photographs, children’s shows, presentations and more-all related to African American culture, past and present.
- The exhibits at the APEX Museum are designed to create a personal connection between the artifacts and the visitors, an experience that allows visitors to resonate with a place during a period that may be unfathomable for them today.
- Plenty of people know about the druggist who invented Atlanta’s famous soft drink. At the APEX Museum, you will learn about another famous Atlanta druggist, Moses Amos, Atlanta’s first Black certified pharmacist.
- Among the documents in the museum’s exhibit about the slave trade, “Africa: The Untold Story,” are logs listing the names, ages and value of enslaved people.
- At the APEX Museum, see a timeline of African history that goes all the way back to 5500 BC.
- One way to explore this gem is to connect it with your visit to the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historical Park, which is 10 minutes away by foot. First, book a free tour of Dr. King’s birth home at the MLK visitor center then proceed to the Apex Museum while you wait. Lessons learned about Africa and the slave trade will provide perspective on Dr. King’s life’s work.
Know before you go
Where is the APEX Museum located?
The APEX Museum is located in the Sweet Auburn district of Downtown Atlanta at:
135 Auburn Ave
Atlanta, GA 30303
When is the APEX Museum open?
The APEX Museum’s regular operating hours are:
Tuesday – Saturday: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sunday – Monday: closed
Get to know Atlanta, and discover the best things to do around the city.