Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, GA
Relive history at Ebenezer Baptist Church
One of the main attractions of the Martin Luther King Jr. Historic Site is Ebenezer Baptist Church, located in Atlanta’s iconic and historic Sweet Auburn neighborhood.
Reasons to Visit Ebenezer Baptist Church
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was baptized at the church when he was a child.
- In 1960, MLK became co-pastor of Ebenezer Baptist Church with his father, the Rev. Martin Luther King Sr., also known as Daddy King.
- MLK’s funeral was held at Ebenezer Baptist Church.
- The church is part of the Martin Luther King Jr. National Historical Park, a unit of the National Park Service, which began restoration of the historic church in 2001. After restoration, the sanctuary and fellowship hall look the way they looked during the time MLK was co-pastor with Daddy King.
- A gathering at Ebenezer Baptist Church led to the founding of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. Not surprisingly, the church became the center of the nation’s civil rights movement.
- While Ebenezer Baptist Church is located on historic Auburn Avenue, a newer Ebenezer Baptist Church is located nearby on Jackson Street.
- Tour the historic church and hear Dr. King’s speeches, including the “I Have a Dream” speech. Attend Sunday services at the newer church.
- As you stand outside the historic church, be sure to snap a photo of the sign, which is an Atlanta icon.
Know before you go
When is Ebenezer Baptist Church on Jackson Street open?
Service is on Sundays at 9 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. Worship on Wednesdays (WOW) begins at 7 p.m.
Is the church open for tours?
Yes. Ebenezer Heritage Sanctuary is open for tours Monday through Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sundays 1 to 5 p.m. It is open until 6 p.m. during summer hours. The Horizon Sanctuary is not open for tours. Visitors are welcome to attend Sunday services. Please contact Ebenezer for times.
Where is the church located?
The church is located at:
101 Jackson St.E
Atlanta GA, 30312
Get to know Atlanta, and discover the best things to do around the city.