The Fox Theatre
Fox Theatre presents Broadway plays, music and movies under a starry sky
The Fox Theatre in Atlanta is a restored movie palace turned cultural jewel. This National Historic Landmark holds a special place in Atlanta’s heart. Originally intended to be the Yaarab Temple Shrine headquarters, the Fox Theatre Atlanta welcomed movie audiences for the first time on Christmas Day 1929. Although it enjoyed a successful career as a movie theater, the Fabulous Fox Theatre faced possible demolition until it was rescued by a nonprofit organization in the 1970s. Today, the Fox Theatre Atlanta welcomes 750,000 visitors a year to more than 300 performances and events.
Reasons to visit the Fox Theatre
- See a show. Arguably the best live entertainment venue in Atlanta, the Fox Theatre serves up a full menu of live performances, ranging from dance to Broadway shows to rock concerts. In 2009, Billboard magazine ranked the Fox Theatre in Atlanta as “The No. 1 non-residency venue worldwide for the decade (5,000 seats or less).”
- Catch a flick. In addition to live entertainment, The Fox Theatre shows movies. During the summer, a great way to beat the heat is the Coca-Cola Summer Film Festival, which features current and classic films.
- Meet the Mo. The “Mighty Mo” is a pipe organ with 4,000 pipes. Built at a cost of $42,000 in 1929, the pipe organ was valued at $400,000 fifty years later. Audiences can hear the Fox’s “Mighty Mo” before every Broadway performance and during the Coca-Cola Summer Film Festival.
- Party down. The Fox Theatre is a great venue for weddings, meetings and parties. The Fox offers four different rooms to create your perfect Atlanta event, including beverage service, a full-service kitchen and more.
- Discover the décor. Look up at the breathtaking blue ceiling that twinkles with starlight amid drifting clouds. One of the crystals in the ceiling is really a piece of a Coca-Cola bottle. The Moorish lobby and ballrooms carry you back to the 1920s, when extravagance and Egyptian influences were all the rage.
- The Fox offers tours. Call ahead for a schedule or see an usher to find out tour dates.
- Buy tickets directly from the box office rather than a third party; you’ll save processing fees.
- Need a cool Atlanta photography location? Contact the Fox and arrange a time where you can come by for a visit. The Fox folks are very welcoming.
Know before you go
Where is the Fox Theatre located?
The Fox Theatre is located at:
660 W Peachtree St. NW
Atlanta, Ga. 30308
View directions and parking for you visit.
Can I tour the Fox Theatre?
The Fox Theatre offers a 60-minute guided tour that showcases the must-see details of the Fox and its remarkable history. Learn more about Fox Theatre Tours.
Get to know Atlanta, and discover the best things to do around the city.