Get cultured with visual and performance art in the Arts District
The arts are an important part of life in Atlanta and the epicenter of the city’s art scene is Midtown’s Arts District. Major venues, award-winning performances and constantly changing exhibits keep locals and visitors alike coming back time and again to explore this neighborhood.
Atlanta is a melting pot of arts and culture and nowhere is that more evident than in Midtown’s Arts District. Home of the Fox Theatre, High Museum of Art, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and the Alliance Theatre, all of these cultural institutions are within a short distance of one another.
Atlanta is a melting pot of arts and culture and nowhere is that more evident than in Midtown’s Arts District.
Just down the street is even more fun. The Atlanta Botanical Garden and Piedmont Park host performing arts throughout the year, rounding out Atlanta’s Arts District.
The Fox Theatre hosts nationally-touring acts ranging from Broadway in Atlanta performances to popular musicians like Gregg Allman, John Legend and Ellie Goulding. There really is something for everyone, including the kids. Check the summer schedule for Saturday morning cartoons or movie nights.
Want a more intimate theater experience? Visit the Alliance Theatre, where you may just see a Broadway play – before it hits Broadway. The Alliance Theatre schedule often includes Tony Award-winning plays. Which one will you see?
Speaking of award winning, ever heard of a little thing called the Grammys? Atlanta has. The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra has racked up more than 30. You can catch their performances at Atlanta Symphony Hall, right in the middle of the Arts District.
If you’d rather experience art at your own pace, visit the High Museum of Art, the foremost art museum in the Southeast. From breath-taking permanent exhibits to traveling international exhibits that make a U.S. debut in Atlanta, The High guarantees a new experience every visit.
Still want more? Take the kiddos to the Center for Puppetry Arts for memories that will last a lifetime. They may even get to build their own puppet! And don’t forget just across the street is the Bremen Jewish Heritage Museum.
Want to go?
- Location: The Arts District is located along Peachtree Street from 14th Street to 17th Street.
- Getting there: Take the MARTA red or gold Line and exit at Arts Center Station, located right next to the Woodruff Arts Center, the heart of the Arts District.
Did you know…
- The Arts District area is accessible via the MARTA Arts Center Station.
- Don’t confuse Opera Atlanta with the Atlanta Opera. One is a nightclub in Midtown and while you won’t find any concertos being sung there, you will definitely find great DJs!
- The Atlanta Botanical Garden features Chihuly art as well as giant plant sculptures.
- Piedmont Park is home to Music Midtown – one of Atlanta’s most popular multi-day music festivals.
Get to know Atlanta, and discover the best things to do around the city.