Top 5 Places for Hip-Hop in Atlanta
Atlanta is one of the epicenters for hip-hop music with such artists as Outkast, Killer Mike, Migos, Goodie Mob, Young Jeezy, Ciara and T.I. getting their start in the city. So where can you go to hear and dance to hip-hop?
Well, we went right to one of the top insiders in the hip-hop scene, D.R.E.S tha BEATnik, for tips on the best places. For live hip-hop music or great DJs playing hip-hop, he suggests:
- 529, located in the East Atlanta Village. 529 offers a variety of shows throughout the week and features such hip-hop artists as Georgia Soul Council, Cadillac Jones, Metz and 16 Bars Hip Hop Orchestra as well as folk, electro, experimental, acoustic and psychedelic music. The live music will keep you on your toes while you meet friends and enjoy a good beer. Every Saturday there is a comedy show.
- Union EAV, located on Flat Shoals Avenue in East Atlanta. Union EAV is a hot underground venue in Atlanta. Union EAV brings customers fun events six days a week and is a great dance and night club. Union EAV attracts an eclectic mix of people, which means people watching is worth the price of a drink. Like its neighbor, 529, Union EAV books a variety of acts, including hip-hop, but our favorite may be the last Tuesday of every month, which features a punk rock karaoke band.
- The Music Room. It is an underground music venue with a full stage, DJs and live music. Located on Edgewood Avenue, the Music Room has two levels, both with bars, stages and room for dancing.
- The REAL MJQ Concourse. MJQ has the “most consistent hip-hop party in Atlanta, even though it’s not performance based,” according to D.R.E.S tha BEATnik. Located on Ponce De Leon Ave. in the Poncey-Highland district, MJQ offers a real club vibe with great drinks, dancing and reasonable prices. This is a cool subterranean nightclub bar that is hidden from the general public, which helps give it a special cult status. Generally the music runs from hip-hop and reggae to drum ‘n bass. What separates it from most clubs is that it’s a non-smoking nightclub. It’s also cash only.
- Club Crucial. Located on Donald Lee Hollowell Highway, Club Crucial is owned by rapper and reality television star T.I. Expect to see talent showcases and underground rappers trying to get noticed. The atmosphere is cool and laid back with a sophisticated decor and three full bars. T.I. has even been known to show up and do a few sets.
More Like This
Get to know Atlanta, and discover the best things to do around the city.