100 Reasons to Visit Atlanta in 2022
There are so many reasons to visit Atlanta in 2022. Atlanta is rich in history and culture. It is a refreshingly diverse city, full of community and inspired with creativity. All of this exists in 136.2 square miles of vibrant, colorful neighborhoods under a grand canopy of trees. Here are 100 reasons to visit Atlanta in 2022.
Atlanta is Hot!
(Just don’t call us
Hotlanta). We’re not talking about the weather. Atlanta is the place to visit, but don’t take our word for it. National Geographic Travel named Atlanta one of the 2022 Best of the World Destinations for our cultural and historic achievements. The travel experts at Lonely Planet named Atlanta as the only U.S. city in the Best in Travel list for 2022. Booking.com recognized ATL as a top trending destination in ’22 along with shout outs and accolades from others.
Atlanta’s Awesome Attractions
Atlanta is home to some pretty terrific attractions that are fun for visitors and residents.
- Visit the largest aquarium in the United States. You will find many world class exhibits at Georgia Aquarium.
- Don’t miss the largest center dedicated to the art of puppetry in the United States. The Center for Puppetry Arts focuses on performance, education and a museum. One of only a few puppet museums in the world is home to Jim Henson’s beloved Muppets.
- Zoo Atlanta features exhibits and opportunities to encounter more than 200 species of animals.
- Get a glimpse into the history of the iconic beverage at World of Coca-Cola, where you’ll find memorabilia, multimedia experiences, have an opportunity to meet the Coca-Cola Polar bear and taste formulations from around the globe.
- Chick-fil-A College Football Hall of Fame is the ultimate destination for college football fans. Follow your favorite team through the interactive experience, play on the field and check out specialty exhibits.
- Take a step back in time at the Fernbank Museum of Natural History. Fernbank features extensive indoor and outdoor exhibits and interactive experiences. From dinosaurs to Georgia’s native wildlife, there is so much to experience for all ages.
Not-to-Miss 2022 Atlanta Events
Each new year brings a new list of exciting things to do in Atlanta. These can’t-miss events and festivals make 2022 a great year to visit.
- Obama Portraits at the High Museum of Art
- Atlanta Dogwood Festival
- The Atlanta Pride Festival is the largest in the Southeast and traditionally takes place in October.
- Atlanta Jazz Festival
- Atlanta Ice Cream Festival
- Taste of Atlanta
- Beer, Bourbon & BBQ Festival
- Dragon Con
- Music Midtown
Family Fun in Atlanta
Atlanta is full of unique, educational and just plain fun things to do for the entire family. From The Children’s Museum of Atlanta for little ones to Six Flags Over Georgia for teens and everything in between, don’t miss our ultimate list of things to do with kids in Atlanta.
Civil Rights Legacy
Atlanta is a city steeped in civil rights history and continually on the forefront of social change. In the 1960s Atlanta became an epicenter for the civil rights movement as the birthplace and hometown of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Today, you can delve into our civil rights heritage by visiting these historic landmarks.
Black Culture and Excellence
Is it any wonder that a local creative agency would be named Atlanta Influences Everything? With our rich history, it’s natural that Atlanta has become the focal point for Black culture and subsequently influences the world in terms of music, fashion, film and beyond.
Be sure to check out our Atlanta Black travel guide before your visit.
Atlanta is for Foodies
Atlanta’s dining scene is worth writing home about.
- Atlanta’s best food halls offer a vast array of cuisines influenced by countries from across the globe.
- Despite these global influences, Atlanta does remain a true Southern city, and some of its most popular dishes reflect that. You won’t want to miss these 25 iconic Atlanta dishes.
- Atlanta celebrates food with festivals. The Atlanta Food & Wine Festival and Atlanta Ice Cream Festival are just a couple of 10 Atlanta Food Festivals that won’t leave you hungry.
- You have to experience Buford Highway. A trip down this route will expose you to culinary options from around the world.
Atlanta’s Art Scene
Atlantans are a creative bunch, passionate about the arts.
- The High Museum of Art is one of the nation’s leading art museums. Look for The Obama Portraits, The High Revelry Wine Auction, KAWS prints and more in 2022. The High also offers educational workshops, talks and programming for all ages.
- Atlanta street art is abundant with more than 1,000 murals, the Living Walls initiative, TinyDoors ATL and more to explore throughout the city. Take a self-guided tour with the best Atlanta street art by neighborhood.
- Fans of live music and theater will want to visit the Woodruff Arts Center to see what’s new from Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Alliance Theatre.
- MODA (Museum of Design Atlanta) shares the appreciation of design as the convergence of creativity and functionality through exhibitions, education and programming.
Atlanta is a true hub for entertainment of all kinds. Music and movies are born here.
- Live music festivals like Music Midtown, ONE Musicfest and the A3C Festival & Conference draw thousands of festival goers each year.
- Atlanta’s Black music roots: Blues, Hip-Hop, Trap and beyond all have a place here.
- Find hip-hop, jazz and more in one of Atlanta’s numerous nightlife hot spots.
- Ready to slow down and enjoy a little classical music? The renowned Atlanta Symphony Orchestra is one of the leading orchestras in the nation. ASO continues to break new ground. Of note, ASO recently named Nathalie Stutzmann music director, making her the first woman to hold the position and only the second in the nation to direct a major orchestra.
- If you love television and movies, that’s another reason to visit Atlanta, known as the Hollywood of the South. Here’s your guide to what’s filming in Atlanta.
Home to numerous bars and clubs, there is no shortage of nightlife in Atlanta. You’ll want to make a night or two on the town part of your Atlanta itinerary.
- Find hip-hop, jazz and more in one of Atlanta’s numerous nightlife hot spots.
- Visiting with friends or family? On a romantic getaway? We’ve got something for everyone on this ultimate list of date nights in Atlanta.
- Lovers of microbrews rejoice! The beer scene in Atlanta is on point at these local breweries and pubs.
- Cocktail enthusiast? You will love these Atlanta cocktail bars, specializing in unique recipes.
- If an evening of gaming and laughter is your cup of tea (er, ale) you won’t want to miss these great bars and restaurants that also allow you to game, golf or bowl.
Atlanta is known for its vast green space. In fact, nearly 18 square acres of it lie within the city limits. You’ll find plenty of opportunities to walk, hike, run, bicycle, play and more. The city features many great things to do at parks for families and others to exercise, play and enjoy the outdoors. Many Atlanta parks include sports facilities and dog parks.
- Piedmont Park offers 189 acres right in the heart of Midtown, providing ample green space for hiking, biking and playing. Close to eateries and shops, Piedmont park is a great spot for weekend outings. It offers sports fields, bark parks, a pool for summer swimming, playgrounds and so much more.
- The newly opened Westside Park is the largest park in Atlanta at 280 acres. Surrounding a retired quarry, Westside Park offers stunning views, plenty of trails for walking and biking and an immense amount of green space.
- Atlanta Botanical Garden is one of the jewels of Atlanta, featuring lush gardens and stunning displays. Visit for special events or a lovely afternoon among the flowers. There are special areas for kids, classes, restaurants and more.
- The Atlanta BeltLine is a multiuse trail created from an abandoned railway corridor. It is a favorite for Atlantans and visitors alike as it traverses the city, showcasing public art and allowing for easy movement through diverse neighborhoods via bike, skates, walking and more. There is so much to do off the BeltLine, with shopping and hot new restaurants.
- Outdoors enthusiasts won’t want to miss a visit to the Chattahoochee Nature Center overlooking the Chattahoochee River. The center offers hundreds of activities for all ages including hiking, canoeing, animal encounters and other educational experiences in a stunning landscape.
- Atlanta truly is a green city and offers lots of opportunities to get outdoors. Find plenty of hiking right inside the city with these 10 easy Atlanta hikes.
Hip Intown Neighborhoods
Atlanta is bursting with unique neighborhoods that offer glimpses into the culture of the city. Peachtree Street connects it all, from the convention district Downtown, which includes Centennial Olympic Park, to the modern architecture of Midtown to the sophisticated streets of Buckhead. Likewise, the BeltLine brings together the vibrant Westside, Southside and Eastside.
ATL Gayborhoods and LGBTQ+ Equality
Atlanta has received perfect scores on the Human Rights Campaign’s Equality Index recognizing its commitment to LGBTQ+ equality in its policies across the board. Such acceptance and commitment has caused Atlanta to become a popular and vibrant vacation destination for gay travelers.
Unique Atlanta Tours
Atlanta offers unique tours and sightseeing. See the city like you’ve never seen it before. Visit historical destinations or tour through the lens of your favorite hobby.
- Get a glimpse at the Marvel Cinematic Universe by visiting these Atlanta-filmed Marvel movie locations.
- Make a reservation with the Peachtree Trolley for a terrific overview of Atlanta by knowledgeable guides.
- Black Girl Magic offers a unique look into the public art of Atlanta through the lens of uplifting black women. You will experience a mural crawl, views of Atlanta and a few sweet treats during this three-hour tour.
- Want to get to know Atlanta a bit before your visit? Check out these virtual tours of Atlanta from the comfort of your own home.
From unique shops and indie boutiques to upscale brands, you can find them all in Atlanta. Check out our guide to shopping in Atlanta.
Atlanta Sports Year-Round
Atlanta sports provide year-round, live entertainment for thousands of fans.
- Root, root, root for the Atlanta Braves, 2021 World Series Champions at Truist Park.
- Hoop it up with the Atlanta Hawks
- Unite and conquer with Atlanta United FC
- Rise Up for the Atlanta Falcons
Reasons for All Seasons
There are reasons to visit Atlanta any time of year. Here are a few highlights by season.
The South welcomes winter with open arms. Atlanta is packed with good times and great experiences for the season. Of course the holidays offer up events such as holiday lights displays, Miracle on Peachtree events, but also ice skating, winter dining and other unique experiences. Check out our ultimate guide to winter in Atlanta.
During spring, we watch the dogwoods blossom and welcome new growth. It’s a great time to visit Atlanta Botanical Garden to see the flowers bloom, Shoot the Hooch, stick to shore at Chattahoochee Nature Center or visit one of these great spring festivals in Atlanta.
A highlight to the long days of summer is the Peachtree Road Race, an Atlanta tradition. In addition, summer welcomes a plethora of great music and food festivals. When the heat and humidity are high, summer calls for air conditioning, and what better way to enjoy that than with a visit to iconic Atlanta attractions.
One of the biggest reasons to visit Atlanta in the fall is to enjoy beautiful fall colors while doing all the seasonal festive things. Take a day trip to go apple picking (or pumpkin patching) or welcome the return of the South’s favorite sport, college football, with a visit to the Chick-fil-A College Football Hall of Fame.
Where to Stay in the A
Atlanta has welcomed some great, new hotels into its fold in the past year, which is awesome news for visitors. Looking for an upscale but hip vibe? Check in to the Epicurean Atlanta in the Buckhead area. If you’re looking for something a bit more historic, try the boutique Wylie Hotel with easy BeltLine access and other amenities. There are amazing hotels in each neighborhood to relax and unwind.
Regardless of what type of accommodation you are looking for, our hotel tool will help you locate the perfect place to stay, with options to filter by neighborhood, type of hotel and more. And we’ve done some of the work for you if you’re looking for a stay with an epic view.
Easy Peasy to Get to ATL
Atlanta is easy to get to for any traveler in the U.S. and internationally. It makes an epic road trip destination from any direction
- Flying to Atlanta? Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport makes it easy to fly in. Being one of the the busiest airports in the world means that Atlanta’s airport welcomes more than 100 million visitors a year and is the terminal for direct flights from more than 213 airports.
- Getting around Atlanta is a breeze with MARTA rail and bus service and additional modes of transportation including car, bike, scooter and walking.
- Visitors needing accesibility and mobility resources will find options with MARTA transit, the airport, hotels and venues throughout Atlanta.
Atlanta Welcomes Everyone
Here in the A, “y’all” means all. We’ve given you many reasons to visit Atlanta in 2022, but here’s one more. We want to show you a little Southern hospitality. Atlanta represents community and collaboration, and we’re ready to welcome you.
Get to know Atlanta, and discover the best things to do around the city.